The name of this meteorological-seismic Observatory dates back to the past. Indeed, during the Roman times, Acquaviva was a small village located in the “via Cassia” and it was called “ad Statuas”. Several remains of walls and buildings of the Roman age, digged out starting from 1824 in the farmyard and in the square behind the San Vittorino church, as well as in the Fontegrande area, support such source. It can be assumed that among the archaeological finds there were also the remains of some statues, where the local people used to go.
The “ad Statuas” Observatory has been created to provide the meteorological-seismic data of our area, free of charge.
The Observatory is made up of a meteorological station which carries out the measurements and stores them, a seismic station able to record earthquakes regionally, nationally and worldwide, a webcam system which takes pictures of the landscapes in our area, as well as a radar to detect and localize lightnings